Goiabinhas

posted on: Monday, March 16, 2009

This, my friends, is my comfort food of comfort foods. Lately I've been in desperate need of comfort. It's a bit sad selling off my skinny jeans because I know I won't be able to fit back into them for another year (o.k fine, two at least). Selling off skinny jeans to buy maternity clothes :)

I'm also in need of comfort because I'm in my second trimester of pregnancy and I'm still nauseous. Did you really think that I wasn't posting because I've been so dang busy with school? That is true BUT there is a whole other reality to my lack of posts. It's because I'm on a strict diet of toast for breakfast, quesadilla for lunch, and cereal for dinner. That's right peeps we've been feasting on cereal none stop because whenever I cook I want to throw up and even though my boys will eat anything they refuse to eat throw up. So cereal it is. We've even expanded our cereal cabinet. Once upon a time we only had cheerios and crunchy corn bran and today we have Kix, Honey Bunches of Oats, Corn Flakes, Rice Krispies and then the trusty cheerios and crunchy corn bran.

When I do cook it's usually something very nutritious like those goiabinhas up on top. Which is basically shortbread cookie with guava paste inside.

If you want a taste of Brazilian cuisine go get yourself some Goiabada. We love this stuff. So much so that one of the most traditional and loved desserts of all time in Brazil is a slice of Goiabada with a slice of queso fresco. We call it Romeo and Julieta because it's the perfect match and also because Brazilians love to name food after love things, like beijinhos (kisses) and...(another post, I promise)

Goiabada is guava paste which you can find in any Mexican store. Easy to find in California but maybe harder in other places. Goiabinhas are the cookies that you make using goiabada. This is my grandma's recipe below. She gave me this recipe as a wedding present so treat it with respect because it's worth gold!

Goiabinhas

  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tablespoon yeast
  • 1/2 cup warm milk
  • 1 cup vegetable shortening
  • 2 cups chopped goiabada (see picture above where I have them all cut up and separated)
  1. preheat oven to 350
  2. In a medium bowl mix the yeast with 1/4 cup milk.
  3. Add the rest of the ingredients (except the goiabada) and mix by hand until you get a flaky dough
  4. Make little balls with the dough.
  5. Flatten the a ball of dough using both hands and put a piece of goibada inside and close it back up in oval shape. Repeat the process until all the dough is gone.
  6. Place the oval goiabinhas on a cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes.
  7. sprinkle sugar and Cinnamon on top after they are done cooking.
Related Posts with Thumbnails